Thursday, March 26, 2009

.. prolly another weird post.

broad strokes.

i was watching a french movie the other day with a friend of mine. the film had no sub titles, neither did we speak french. so it was like watching a painting made from broad strokes - apparent, but left to perception.

i tripped sometime later.

to understand something when words have no meaning. lemme tell you some things that you prolly know..

most movies are the same thing told in a different way. most things in life mean the same movie may be, forgotten in a different way.

for the last few months, i was stressed from work. i am in a much better place in my mind right now though, but i gathered.. to realise the loss of balance, is a fair step towards regaining it.

things in our lives are self serving. egoistic parables we tell ourselves. from the hour we wake up to the late shuteye, the day is filled with little activities of self indulgence. and, this is bad. no matter how compelling the world sounds, or how pampered the ego resides, that is bad.

well, there is no certification as to how to lead ones life.. but i found religion helpful. i am not a terribly unilateral person, but i did nt find a better way to lead a life than what was taught to me on doordarshan or in social studies classes. and most of it dealt with the so-called terms, happiness and peace.

to be happy is to do things outside yourself. a tremendously buddhist sounding philosophy, this.. of being at peace by controlling the mind thing, which is a tad difficult. and acting outside ones self and being compassionate, are not really as natural as they sound. but they go towards addressing little things you can so easily afford everyday - smile, talk, be pleasant (even if it is out of character/mood) - easy things.

a sorta.. habit of happiness. this is a strange term. i dont believe you can be happy all the time, especially leading a life like we do - peppered with subconscious judgements, arrogance, jealousy, hatred - the mildly dormant side of bipolarity, that is almost hard to conceal from one's self. we are not talking about extremist terrorists here, just regular people off the street. like us. we frown at ourselves coz we believe in this little drama in our heads. that these seemingly important things that we do, are so critical for our well being. only until we redefine these things. chasing big things in life, fighting the shadows in our heads - hard things.

we do the hard things, forget the easy things.

"we ll try to make a story up ourselves if we are completely lost" one of us told the other addressing the skepticism of the foreign language in the movie.

happiness is prolly easy, if we get out of our heads and pretend we are watching a movie; make the story work. let the characters get along. its sometimes simple to live a life - just try to be nice. you might succeed.

(end)


what do i do with the ego? that's a beast we kill one day at a time.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you seem to write with a surprising amount of lucidity for someone pursuing doctoral studies dude :)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Sharad Ragas said...

I dunno about doctoral studies, but I think honesty and clarity are not-so-distant cousins, dude. =p

10:11 PM  
Blogger Leena said...

Leading a happy life. Isn't that what it comes down to, everything. On your own terms, sometimes that makes you happy, sometimes not.. but that's ok I guess.

Being nice ought to be natural, isn't it? otherwise, its not quite.. erm, nice.

Anyway, how are you doing? how was your day..

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A set of rules away from indulgence help, religion helps... just stopping thinking about I helps.

I am lost most of these days, chasing whatever it is I am chasing... thinking on the same lines as you are...

Nice one adarsh.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favorite post of this blog! :)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Sharad Ragas said...

=)

Being nice ought to be natural, isn't it? otherwise, its not quite.. erm, nice.


Not necessarily. It is jus easier to be nice when you are not in a bad mood, which is generally a natural state for most of us. Oder?

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, I understand now, I think.

I don't know what it takes to be completely happy. I agree with Ravi. maybe even I am busy chasing something, proving something to someone or myself, not ready to kill the ego, yet.

The lines made me think.. more than I wanted to. very nicely written.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous ravptor said...

Some random thoughts -

where does it end? It never does, I think you get smarter, wiser, OLDER like the way we are here. The I fills it all up, I want to be good, better, more money, more power... I feel it everyday when I am in the train station emptying onto the elevator with a million like me at 7:45am.

All of them making tons of money, very fancy designations but what does it all amplify to? Some greater good. I don't see it even with a 100x zoom.

Am I satiating my desires? For others yes, for the world yes but for my soul, my hunger to know what I am, it servers very little purpose.

The challenge I face is to understand who I am. Not what I look in the mirror but what I am to myself. How I understand myself with the external and the internal. Or most of time, stop looking at the greener grass on the other side.

I am white boarding your comments section adarsh ;)

11:44 PM  
Blogger vigbert said...

whatever it is ...i am better than you :)

4:32 AM  
Blogger Sharad Ragas said...

@Ravi: A few years back, I used to ask myself some such questions.. and then I learnt of a lil trick called respect. Dunno if it works everywhere, but once you start respecting people around, you somehow figure out who/what you are. =)

@Vigbert: All these things dont apply to ambitious cat people who forward others Mark Zuckerberg links, of course. =)

9:15 AM  
Anonymous adr said...

"but once you start respecting people around, you somehow figure out who/what you are. "
like you said... I don't think it applies everywhere.
I would say, all along I have done a fairly decent job at this 'respecting others' thing. Still, the answer to the 'I question' hasn't gotten any clearer.
Yeah.. you become more comfortable
with yourself. Sure. Coz its a nice thing to be doing.

5:57 PM  
Blogger vigbert said...

maaki turkey lo hüzün ani moththu kuntu untaamu...
meeki telsa ? i ni communal chesi nobel prize kottesi unti potharu

8:51 AM  
Blogger Sharad Ragas said...

Ee madhyalo, nee jokulu (chivariki) naaku kuda ardham kaavatledu. Anduke Indian Express chadivetappudu Gemini TV choodavadhu annanu! Ento!!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home