Saturday, January 19, 2008

What now?

I want to live in a fishing village.

Not coz I particularly like fish, but because I have a tendency to get whimsical on odd numbered days of the week.

If you knock on this guy's desk (the one sitting opposite me), ask him to kindly excuse you and then enquire of his wishful getaway, he would (and I presume here) say- 'Ah, I would like to go somewhere where I dont need to rush. Where the morning air is cold and the brustling of the sea does nt knock my ears off.'

In some weird way, he might be saying what I am thinking. But that would make it weird. Then again.

So.. why fishing villages?

My parents lived in Goa for six years. And in ways not well understood yet, I still live there.

A little village near Panjim, not too far away that a 110 cc moped would not take you, where a stretched pile of sand resides next to retreating waves of saltwater. Dark skinned men walk in and out of this water everyday, with long nets rolled up on their shoulders bearing the day's labour. Little kids sometimes run next to these slumped men making strange noises. I donno why.

Salt stained boats are parked along Sam D#souza's shack where you get rice with fish curry for eighteen rupees. You could sit on the porch, as Mr.Dsouza would dust the sand off the cushion. You could also put your feet up on the railing, if you like.

Sit.
Stare.
Breathe.
Stare.

It is said, people have, in the past found peace here. A distinct sense of surreptitious serenity would visit you, they said, if you look at the sun long enough.. and hard enough. Amused at finally finding yourself, you would even consider holding some grained earth in your palm.

At some point, when the sun settles down in the sea, you walk back to where you came from. Like always. Only, you'd have sand between your toes now.

Such brazen romanticism, only a genially disposed man could believe.

Anyway, I think I should go home now. And learn to cook fish.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leena said...

Goa. sigh..would like to visit it sometime.. again! Have a vague memory of our Goan host cooking oysters, as I stared wide-eyed. No clue what reminded me of that..

12:16 AM  
Blogger Sharad Ragas said...

=)

The Goan village was a reference. I find it hard not to compare any town with some water and fishing boats to that one.

Certain joys.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home