Monday, November 20, 2006

Gee.. that was something!!

A few days back, the G20 Summit was held in the city. And as a nominal duty of all the mildly recalescent blood of this generation, a call for protest was posted all across the walls of Melbourne. I hear this is a tradition with the host of the summit. So, the busy streets were flooded with thousands of protestors err.. protesting against the economic leaders of the world. What is it with impoverished young people and the capitalists of this world, you ask.. huh?
For any one on those streets that Saturday afternoon.. it painted a relatively "contradistinctive" image for a protest (in the conventional sense, of course). There were parades featuring long banner yielding groups, face painted enthusiasts entertaining the crowds, teenagers with an overwhelming urge to wear black, punksters with placards which ranged from non-descriptive to hilarious, old men walking along side the not-so-old, flashing smiles and sharing an anecdote or two.. It was an atmosphere, where I - for the first time, in probably awhile - have seen a common man walk towards a protesting mob, rather than away from it. It was almost heartening.

You could find some of the images here.


These however are by no means, any description of the color exhibited that day. The reason, I would like to point this out, is coz later that evening.. there were a few incidents reported (and well covered by the local/national media, with images of indiscipline by some protesting groups). I understand it was not necessary.. for what was a very impressive exhibition of protest till
that moment..has now been painted ugly and violent. And a bit of zealous stupidity should not undermine the relatively refreshing move shown by a majority.

For what shall be reported as a "day of shame" by the Australian press, could well be a day when a few hundreds would have believed in the bent of remonstration, again. For a moment, in the least.

Hmm.

4 Comments:

Blogger ADR said...

"could well be a day when a few hundreds would have believed in the bent of remonstration, again. For a moment, in the least."
Was India running at the back of your mind, when you wrote this? Or are you suggesting that, such a thing , is a novelty,even thr?

8:47 PM  
Blogger Sharad Ragas said...

I had no intention of pointing out India's way of protesting as such.. I have n't been home in awhile now, and I understand a lot has changed lately. I hear they protest with candles et al now, peacefully. So, I guess that is as sophisticated a way as any then. I mean, in a good way.

I was told protests here (in Australian cities) are usually non violent in nature.

I donno, I might have written this just for the heck of it.. impressed by the rather carnival like way of expressing one's dissent. No political statements, as such.. just a random whim.. I guess.

1:55 AM  
Blogger ADR said...

"I understand a lot has changed lately."
hmm...

"I hear they protest with candles et al now, peacefully".
True but few,there are also others i.e the recent Delhi/Kashmir protests for example. They blow away RTC's property
as if they have a birth right or something.Poor RTC guys,they bear the brunt of every 'citizen' unhappy with the government.

" I mean, in a good way."
ofcourse.

"No political statements, as such."
I didnt think so either. :-)

cheers

4:54 PM  
Blogger Chaitanya said...

I had no intention of pointing out India's way of protesting as such.. I have n't been home in awhile now, and I understand a lot has changed lately.

No it hasnt. Effigy burning is a favourite. Poor Greg Chappell is being burnt over and over again. As usual in India, buses are torched, public and private property is vandalised, traffic is blocked etc. You should've seen the (rather high profile) protests in Delhi against the MCD sealing drive. Horrible pictures. A 7 year old kid was killed in police firing.

Little has changed. The candle kind and Gandhigiri kind, I believe, are not here to stay.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home